The vision of the Society is to improve public health and well being by lessening the burden of the disease of obesity and related diseases throughout the world.
Founded in 1983, foremost American surgeons have formed the society’s leadership and have established an excellent organization with educational and support programs for surgeons and integrated health professionals. The purpose of the society is to advance the art and science of metabolic and bariatric surgery by continually improving the quality and safety of care and treatment of people with obesity and related diseases by:
- Improving the care and treatment of people suffering from obesity.
- Advancing the science and understanding of metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- Fostering communication between health professionals on obesity and related conditions.
- Being the recognized authority and resource on metabolic and bariatric surgery.
- Advocating for the health care policy that ensures patient access to high quality prevention and treatment of obesity.
- Serving the educational and professional needs of our diverse membership.
ASMBS has nearly 4,000 members including general surgeons and integrated healthcare professionals practicing in the field of metabolic and bariatric surgery. To become an ASMBS member visit the membership page or contact the office for more information.
For those looking for fun things to do while in Washington DC visit their visitors center website.